Sunday, November 1, 2015

Aviation Organizations

When entering in to my professional career, it will beneficial to be apart of some aviation organizations.  The two organizations that come to mind most are ALPA, the Airline Pilots Association, and CAPA, the Coalition of Airline Pilots Association.  

ALPA represents 52,000 pilots making it the worlds largest pilot union.  ALPA's mission is to promote aviation safety, to promote commercial aviation, to assist in collective bargaining, and much more for professional pilots. (ALPA, 1992) Another organization is CAPA.  CAPA is quite similar to ALPA.  CAPA's purpose is to address safety, security, legislative, and regulatory issues in regard to flight deck personnel. (CAPA, N.A.) There are four members of CAPA the Allied Pilot Association, Independent Pilots Association, Teamsters Local 1224, and Teamsters Local 357. It is important to belong to these organizations if your are an airline pilot in the industry.  These groups will promote your career and provide a "voice" for you as an employee.  A bit of protection is given to you from not only your employer, but also the FAA being apart of these organizations.

References:

ALPA. (1992, October). What we do? Airline Pilots Association, International. Retrieved from http://www.alpa.org/about-alpa/what-we-do

CAPA. (N.A.). About CAPA. The Coalition of Airline Pilots Association. Retrieved from http://www.capapilots.org/about-capa

6 comments:

  1. I plan on joining the Airline Pilot Association too. The advantages they provide are completely worth the cost of membership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in the industry for a while and have heard very little about CAPA. Thanks for the information and it seems like a good idea to belong to both organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have not heard much about CAPA. I have seen many people talk about APA but I did not know that they are one of four sections that make up CAPA. This is something that I now know I need to look more into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of ALPA and now a little bit about what they do but I have never heard of CAPA. Now that I know about them I can research the organization.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The airline pilot association is a organization I didn't have insight on after reading this discussion I'm very interested in joining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like ALPA for how well they care for their members. It is a huge organization that has been doing a lot to keep pilots safer especially with the new flight regulations.

    ReplyDelete